I am done with reading health articles, really. Before looking at pictures of fruits, flat abs and a measuring tape on a page, I pause for a moment and wonder if I should continue. These articles never end on a positive note. And it’s not the question of “truth hurting”. How is refraining yourself from all the good things in life true?
Now there is a new theory doing the rounds. Apparently your cholesterol intake has nothing to do with the cholesterol in your body. Thank you very much for flouting this idea after years of banishing butter! The information overload on health is unwarranted and people really have to calm down.
I am not saying finish a bucket of peanut butter chocolate sundae in one go. But if you do do so, don’t be hard on yourself. Did you know guilting over food has a direct effect on your body weight? There! Another health theory for you to do deal with.
How about eating delicious things without a moment’s hesitation and sweating it out? Isn’t that how it’s supposed to be? I’ve never heard my mom and her generation use the word diet. She tells me that her childhood was spent eating good food and playing out in the sun. There was no talk of apple and pear shapes, no HDL, LDL nonsense!
I’d be unequivocally hypocritical if I said I haven’t gone through my phases of abstinence. But those phases have never really lasted. How can I fear something that I am so passionate about? I’m someone who loves a bowl of Greek Salad as much as a glass of thick chocolate milk shake. And yes, healthy things can be delicious too. But life is too short to be counting calories, don’t you think? On that note, here is a Cheesecake Brownie recipe. Go rogue!
- 100 g (close to ½ cup) butter, cubed
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 125 g (1/2 heaped cup) caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 75 g (1/2 heaped cup) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 100 g (1 cup) dark chocolate chips
For cheesecake mixture
- 200 g cream cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 75 g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a 8 inch square tin with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, salt, cocoa and baking powder.
- Over a saucepan of simmering water, place the bowl of chopped chocolate. Add the cubed butter. Let it melt.
- To the melted chocolate, add sugar and eggs, one at a time. Whisk thoroughly to blend all the ingredients.
- Now, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared tin.
- For the cheesecake mixture, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for couple of minutes further. Now, add egg yolk one at a time and continue to beat.
- Take a teaspoon full of cream cheese mixture and drop it on the surface of the brownie. Repeat until you have several small dots of cream cheese on your brownie surface. Using a toothpick or a back of a spoon, gently swirl the cream cheese to form a beautiful pattern.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.