So, pies! What an unmitigated blessing to humankind. Have you ever watched the film Waitress? After watching her roll and tuck in those piecrusts ever so gently, and slather in some delicious fillings (Fallin’ in Love Chocolate Mousse Pie..mmmm), I only wanted to bake pies for the next few days. Of course, the love story on the side was a fringe benefit for a soppy girl like me. Delicious pies and soppy love story, what’s not to like?
But today we are not going to bake a pie like how it is usually baked. We are taking the contemporary path for once. Jenna (from the movie) would probably not be appreciative of me fiddling with an old-fashion pie, but hey, if it looks and tastes just as good, then why the hell not?
Lemon meringue pie has been in my baking bucket-list for almost 3 years now. But my disastrous meringue encounters threw me off a little bit. So I thought I’d take a break. Now I return with an even better proposition – brown sugar meringue. Yes, your meringue won’t be shiny and snow white but I would do what it takes to cut down the sickly sweetness of it, especially in a dessert like lemon meringue pie.
When you have an uncontrollable urge to have something sweet and you don’t want to sweat it out in the kitchen because there are only two of you, what do you do? You blitz some biscuits/Graham crackers and sugar in a processor. You add melted brown butter to it. You take two clean glass jars (250 ml, jam jars) and fill it with the prepared crumb till half way up.
You place the jars in a preheated oven and bake the crusts for 5 minutes. You top the crusts with 2 generous dollops of lemon curd each. You top the curd with brown sugar meringue and brûlée (burn) it with a blow torch. If you don’t have a blow torch, throw the jars in the oven for 10 minutes until the meringue is starting to slightly brown. And just like that, you have two pretty jars of lemon meringue pie, one for you and one for him.
For crumb base
- 8 Graham crackers/digestive biscuits
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
For brown sugar meringue
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Blend Graham crackers in a blender along with sugar. Melt butter and add it to the powdered crackers. Combine till the crumb comes together.
- Fill the glass jars with the prepared crumb half way up. Press the crumb tightly to the bottom and the sides. Place the jars in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the jars and top the crusts with 2 dollops of lemon curd each. Set aside.
- For meringue, whip egg white till it becomes frothy. Add brown sugar and whip until stiff.
- Top lemon curd with prepared meringue between both the jars equally. Brown the meringues using a blow torch or place the jars back in the oven till the meringues begin to brown.