We all manage to cope with the lack of non-Indian ingredients just fine. Well, mostly there isn’t room for coping considering we pretty much get everything in the stores these days. However, they come with a price and you know that.
Every time you bump into a cheesecake recipe, the crust calls for Graham Crackers. The original cheesecake is set on a thick layer of Graham cracker crust – the crackers are blitzed and then melted butter and sugar is incorporated to form a crust. Digestive biscuits and Marie biscuits work just fine.
Graham crackers give a more nutty flavour to your crust, because it has wheat flour. Next time any recipe calls for Graham crackers, you don’t have to run to the store, you know you can make them at home. Also, spread some cream cheese over these crackers and they are great all by themselves.
- 75 g (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 109 g (1/4 cup + 6 tbsp) wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
Makes 15 graham cracker sheets
- Combine flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and brown sugar in a food processor. Pulse till combined. Add the butter and vegetable shortening cubes and pulse till the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Combine cold water with vanilla extract and honey. Pour into the flour mixture and pulse till combined. The mixture will still be crumbly.
- Tip the mixture on a floured work surface and bring them together to form a ball. Pat the dough, wrap inkling film and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Leave the dough out 20 minutes before you want to bake them. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Roll the dough into a thin sheet of 1/8 inch thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cut 2X3 inch rectangles. Place the rectangle carefully a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can place them closely as the crackers wont spread. Dock the rectangles using a fork. Bake the crackers for 12-15 minutes until brown.