I’ve always been a fan of white chocolate. For one, they pair extremely well with fruits. White chocolate and berries…pears…oranges…lemons…the list is endless. Individually, this luscious white chocolate ganache may be a bit too sweet for some people but with the dense vanilla cupcake, the combination becomes lethal if I may say so myself; and the candied orange is all it takes to make this cupcake a sure winner!
For the vanilla cupcakes
- 112 g unsalted butter, softened
- 130 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 vanilla pod (scrap and use the seeds only) / 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g self raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 60 ml milk
For the white chocolate ganache
- 200 g white chocolate, chopped (I use Morde)
- 50 ml double cream
For the candied orange
- 1 orange (use Malta)
- 130 g caster sugar
- 160 ml water
Makes 12 cupcakes
- Preheat your oven at 180 C and place 12 cupcake wrappers in your muffin tray.
- Cream your butter and sugar together until light and pale. Add the eggs one by one and blend again as you go.
- Now, blend the flour, salt and baking powder. These are your dry ingredients.
- Tip in some of that dry ingredients in the butter-egg mixture and blend well. Pour the milk now and continue to blend. Add some of the dry ingredients again and continue to blend. Alternate between milk and dry ingredients till they are done.
- Finally, add the scrapped vanilla seeds and blend thoroughly.
- Spoon the cupcake batter into each hole of the muffin tray. Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 17-20 minutes until they are beautifully risen.
- Meanwhile, bain marie (placing your chocolate in a pot of simmering hot water) your chopped white chocolate. As it melts, pour the cream. Allow it to melt completely and blend with the cream, stirring occasionally.
- For the candied orange, slice the orange into 12 wafer thin circles (1/4 inch thickness). Place them in a pot of simmering water and poach them for about 10 minutes or until the orange slices become tender (but they should not start tearing apart).
- Once the orange slices are poached, wipe them dry using a tea towel. You will have to literally dehydrate them. Now, place them back on the pan, add the sugar and the water and simmer them (in low heat) for about ten minutes until the sugar has caramelized the oranges.
- Make sure the cupcakes have completely cooled. To assemble, spoon some of of that white chocolate ganache over the cupcake and place a candied orange slice on top. Repeat for rest of the cupcakes.